The 14th European VLBI Network (EVN) Symposium and Users Meeting will be hosted by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía-CSIC in Granada (Spain) on behalf of the EVN Consortium Board of Directors. The meeting will take place on October 8-11, 2018 at the main auditorium of the Parque de las Ciencias of Granada, the science museum of the city, within walking distance from the historic areas of Granada.
This biennial meeting is the main forum for discussion of the latest very long baseline interferometric scientific results and technical and technological developments within the EVN member countries. At this meeting there will also be a chance for user input into the future Science Vision for the EVN.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Powerful AGN science
- Starburst galaxies, extragalactic masers, and supernovae
- Stellar evolution and stellar masers
- Transient sources and pulsars
- Astrometric, geodetic & space applications
- VLBI technology developments
- Users feedback
- Current and future VLBI facilities and international cooperation
Moreover, the meeting will also focus on the role of EVN on:
- Very-high sensitivity VLBI with SKA
- Future multi-wavelength and multi-messenger astronomy including high angular-resolution astronomy at other wavelengths
The weather and the city environment in Granada is typically excellent for the period selected for the conference. A number of social activities have been organized, including (among others) a welcome reception at Nazari Palace "Cuarto Real de Santo Domingo" (October 7th, evening), a visit to the historic Alhambra palaces and gardens (October 9th, evening), a visit to the IRAM 30m millimeter Radiotelescope or other alternative activities (October 10th, afternoon), and the conference dinner in the historic rooms of Palacio de Santa Paula (previously the Santa Paula Convent and the Casa Morisca, in the XVI and XII centuries, respectively, in October 10th, evening).